WordPress is an open-source project implying that there are hundreds of people across the world working on it. In other words, you can freely use WordPress without paying any license fees. WordPress is a free and open-source content management system based on PHP and MySQL.
Initially, in 2003, WordPress was introduced with a single bit of code. The objective of WordPress was to promote everyday writing with a few number of users that you can count on fingers. With continuous evolution and updates, it has been considered the largest self-hosted blogging tool in the world. And, today, it is used by millions of people on a daily basis.
Nowadays, it is a full-fledged content management system and much more through millions of plugins and widgets along
with themes. You can easily customize WordPress and use it for almost anything such as designing your website.
WordPress is installed on a Web server, which is either the part of Internet hosting service or network host. You will find Web template system available at WordPress using a template processor.
Typical uses of WordPress are given below:
- It is the most popular content management system in the world.
- It can be self-hosted as there is no cost related to downloading, upgrading, and installing.
- It provides an extensive platform to the clients so that they can make required changes.
- It is commonly used by technical and non-technical people around the globe because of less setup and maintenance cost.
- It is an ideal framework that meets the demand of many users, for example, designers and developers can create or modify layouts or applications.
- It is not only designed for developers or designers but also for non-technical people who have a little knowledge of HTML and CSS.
Initially, WordPress was released on May 27, 2003, by its founders namely, Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little. WordPress was released under GPLv2 license from Free Software Foundation. It was developed to achieve a well-architecture personal publishing system built on PHP and MySQL. With lots of efforts and dedication of the people working on it, have working hard in such a way that today WordPress is a software that is considered matured as well as a stable product.
WORDPRESS OFFICIAL WEBSITE