Joomla is an open-source solution in the form of content management system (CMS); thereby, allowing you to develop websites and powerful online applications. It allows you to publish content on the Web. The simplified process of using and extending features has made Joomla the most popular platform and a content management system. Joomla is written in PHP by applying the concepts of object-oriented programming techniques and software design patterns.
Since November 2016, Joomla has been downloaded and used 78 million times approximately. You can get around 7800 free and commercial extensions. WordPress is considered the second most used content management system globally. Various features of Joomla are page caching, RSS feeds, blogs, search, and support for language internationalization. Joomla is popular and provides open source multilingual CMS platform.
Typical uses of Joomla are:
- The Joomla framework is used to write the Web and command line applications in PHP.
- This open-source solution is available to everyone so that they can develop dynamic as well as robust websites.
- Allows you to customize website without having any knowledge about programming.
- Allows you to create a custom module for your site.
Before release of Joomla, Miro was released by Mambo in 2001. Later on, many contributors wanted a free open-source project, resulting in the release of Joomla on August 17, 2005. The first version of Joomla was 1.0 in which there were a few add-ons to the basic Mambo 4.5.2. Further, 1.5 version of Joomla was released that was the biggest rewrite of the software. Next major release was Joomla 1.6, which was introduced in January 10, 2011. In this version, the sections, categories, and articles were. The most significant improvement was in the Admin interface.
The next version was Joomla 2.5 in which various features such as improvement in core search functionality and database support were added. The last version was Joomla 3.0, and this version had the following features:
- Responsive by default
- Provided support for PostgreSQL
- Integration of Twitter Bootstrap
- Improvement in admin interface usability
JOOMLA OFFICIAL WEBSITE